If you’re ready to add a business to Google Maps, follow this simple 3-step process, and you can have your business live on Google in just a few days.
1. Go to Google My Business
Go to the My Business start page and login with your company Google account. Do not use your personal account.
If you don’t have a company Google account, you can sign up for a new account by clicking the “Create Account” link.
You want to be able to connect all your Google properties through this one business account for Google Analytics, Adwords, Search Console, Youtube, and the My Business page, so it’s easier if you use a separate business account.
2. Enter Your Business Information
Make sure to fill out your business information completely and accurately. Don’t embellish your business name with keywords – stick to your actual name. Enter your phone number in the format you want it to appear. I prefer to use the (XXX) XXX-XXXX format.
Start typing the name of your category. A suggested list of Google categories will appear in a drop down box. Choose the most appropriate category, or type another category to find the best category. If you are a bankruptcy attorney, you may start typing “attorney”, “lawyer”, or “bankruptcy”. All will lead you to your specific category.
The last question is important because if you only deliver services to your customers’ locations, then Google may not show your physical address on the map. If you are a storefront, and customers, patients, or clients come to you, then you should choose “No”.
Confirm your information is correct, read the Terms of Service, check the box, and click the Continue button.
Sometimes Google will give you an option how you would like to verify your business, but in most cases, Google will mail a postcard with a verification code. If you are given the option to verify by phone, choose that for a much quicker verification. If not, click the mail button.
Once you get to the above screen, you’ll see a postcard arrives in 1 to 2 weeks, however you’ll usually receive it in a few days. Make sure to click the “Send Postcard” button to complete the process.
Complete Your Profile
While you’re waiting for your postcard, complete your Google My Business profile entirely. You will start with a 45% completed profile.
- Add your website to get 10% more
- Add your Hours of Operation for another 15%
- Add your profile and cover photo for the remaining 30%
- The profile photo is usually going to be your logo, but in a square image. Minimum size 250 x 250 pixels, but larger is better.
- Your cover photo is a horizontal image about your business, your office, team members, your products, or services. The ideal size is 1080 x 608. Minimum size is 480 x 270
- Add photos to your profile – this increases clickthroughs to your site and can help with local rankings. 8-10 photos is best. Google gives you suggestions, such as:
3. Verify Your Business on Google
When you receive your postcard from Google, login to your My Business page, click on any of the “Verify Now” buttons, and enter the verification code on the postcard.
That’s all there is to it! You can easily add your business to Google Maps in a few quick steps, and be on your way to being found on Google.